10-601 K-NN And Trees - Lecture from Fall 2013
From Cohen CoursesJump to navigationJump to search
This a lecture used in the Syllabus for Machine Learning 10-601 in Fall 2013
- Mitchell, Chapter 3.
What You Should Know Afterward
- What is the goal of classification
- Bayes decision boundary for classification
- Is there an optimal classifier?
- What the K-NN algorithm is.
- What the computational properties of eager vs lazy learning are in general, and K-NN in specific.
- What decision boundary is defined by K-NN, and how it compares to decision boundaries of linear classifiers.
- How the value of K affects the tendency of K-NN to overfit or underfit data.
- (optional) probabilistic interpretation of KNN decisions