This a pair of lectures used in the Syllabus for Machine Learning 10-601B in Spring 2016.
- Ziv's lecture: Slides in pdf.
- Bhavana's lecture on 13th October 2014 Media:Kmeans_13october2014_dalvi.pptx Slides in PPT
- Bhavana's lecture on 16th October 2014 Media:Kmeans_16october2014_dalvi.pptx Slides in PPT
- Combined PDF version for classes on 13th and 16th October Media:Kmeans_cs601_CMU_dalvi.pdf Slides in PDF (Only the slides on advanced topics vary across lectures)
Mitchell 6.12 - a nice description of EM and k-means.
What You Should Know Afterward
You should know how to implement these methods, and what their relative advantages and disadvantages are.
- Overview of clustering
- Distance functions and similarity measures and their impact
- K-means algorithms
- How to chose k and what is the impact of large and small k's
- Differences between GM and K-means